SIKKIMA Concise Introduction to Sikkim, India's 22nd state, shares borders with Nepal, China (Tibet), Bhutan and West Bengal. The world's third highest peak Mount Kangchendzonga (8686 m) is located in the North Western part of the state. Sikkim has more than 10 peaks that reach a height of 6000 meters or more. Gangtok, Sikkim's capital is located in the South Eastern part of the state. Gangtok is situated at an altitude of 1780 m and has a population of approximately 5,00,000. One can ease oneself from the sub-tropical heat of the lower valleys to the cold of the rugged snowcapped mountain slopes. Sikkim is a land rich in culture, tradition and steeped on religion. One cannot help but marvel at the numerous stupas, monasteries and temples. It is the perfect destination, which provides enchantment, tranquility and adventure.
Best season to visit Sikkim:From March till June
In summers Sikkim stays pleasant and lovely. The temperature stays between 5 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius. Nights of the summers can be chilling, so it is advised to pack in some woolen clothes as well. This is the best time to visit Sikkim's Gurudongmar Lake, Yumthang Valley, Rumtek Monastery and others.
Sikkim During in Monsoon-June- August
Sikkim faces average to heavy rainfall, causing the temperature to fall. The whole aura stays pleasant and chilling. Range of temperature during this season is 4-15 degrees Celsius. The area at this time is prone to landslides. But you can get affordable rooms and less crowded tourist destinations.
From September till December
This is the ideal time and one of the best season to visit Sikkim. With the onset of numerous annual festivals it offers a treat to the eyes. With the moderate climate which will be slowly beckoning the chilly winds will offer you the best of greeneries.
January-February Visiting Sikkim during winters is specially for the snow lovers. Temperature in this season stays between -5 degrees to 9 degrees Celsius
Sikkim, General Information :
|(2011 Census) Area =||7'096 sq kms|
|(2011 Census) Populations =||6'11'000 nos.|
|(2011 census) Literacy rate :||81.42 %|
|(2015 census) Domestic Tourists||5'62'418 nos.|
|(2015 census) Foreign Tourists||49'175 nos.|
|Major Languages:||Lepcha, Bhutia, Limbu and Nepalese.|
How to reach rumtek/Gangtok,SikkimBY AIR
Sikkim's first airport is technically ready at Pakyong and will be fully operational by mid 2018. Sikkim Helicopter Service: Seat reservation procedure for Gangtok/ Bagdogra by STDC Helicopter 1. Call ticket reservation counter between 10 AM to 5 PM,
1. Land Line No=> 03592-203960 (GANGTOK),
2. Check for availability of tickets as per your travel date & seat requirement,
3. As per the head count total amount to be deposited at AXIS BANK ACCOUNT Branch-Gangtok IFSC Code-UTIB0000112,
4. PAYABLE TO => STDC A/C AXIS Bank Account Number = 911010038948444,
5. Bank deposit slip to be scanned and mailed at => firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com,
6. Kindly reconfirm with reservation staff before depositing the amount & after mailing the scan copy of bank deposit slip.,
1. GANGTOK to BAGDOGRA SORTIE DAILYSERVICE =11am (duration 35 min.),
2. BAGDOGRA to GANGTOK SORTIE DAILY SERVICE = 2:30pm (duration 35 min.),
In-case of excess luggage party concern can hire STDC Innova luxury car in advance / contact reservation staff on duty atleast 2 days in advance.
1. Joy Ride Gangtok Aerial View 15 minutes: 9500/Flight,
2. Kanchendzonga Mountain Flight Chartered Rs. 96000( Rs. 1200/minute),
3. Chartered Flight Rs 1200/minute,
4. Medical Flight: Gangtok - Bagdogra Rs. 22000,
5. Pilgrimage Flights: Char Dham-Tathangata Tsal - Samdruptse - Sai Mandir Rs-25,000/Flight,
6. Tsomgo Aerial Flights: Rs-18,990/4 people,
7. Bagdogra - Gangtok(Daily); Gangtok - Bagdogra(Daily) Rs-3,500/person (duration:30 - 35minutes),
For further information contact 03592-203960/209031
Siliguri (114 kms),
Darjeeling ( 94 kms),
Kalimpong ( 75kms),
New Jalpaiguri (148kms) There are different road links available to enter Sikkim but most important of them is from NJP (New Jalpaiguri in West Bengal State) on National Highway Number 31A(NH 31A).This road enters Sikkim at Rangpo check post(see the Map)Rangpo check post is located at a distance of 77 km from Siliguri.
Entry Formalities for Foreign nationals:
Foreigners must obtain Inner Line Permit (ILP) to visit Sikkim. These can be obtained from all Indian Missions, Sikkim Tourism Offices at New Delhi, Kolkata, District Magistrates Office of Darjeeling, Siliguri, and Rangpo on the strength of an Indian Visa.
The 30 days duration Permit is issued on the spot without any delay provided photocopies of the passport and visa along with two pass port photos of the applicants are made available. The permissible duration of the stay for foreign tourists is 30 days initially.
The State Government is authorized to extend the same by a further period of 30 days. The extension of the permit can be obtained from FRO at Gangtok and office of Superintendent of Police of the North, West and South Districts. For those interested in going for trekking in the interior region of the state, the Tourism and Civil Aviation issues Protected Area Permit (PAP) at Gangtok which is available for certain specified area for groups consisting of two or more foreigners subject to condition that the trekking programme is arranged through a registered travel agency.